Monday, July 23, 2018

Week 25: I was alone with a man: NOT CLICKBAIT


Happy Monday everyone!!

This week was quite the wild one, regardless of every single one of our lessons falling through.

I don't think I'll ever understand Ukrainians. Here are a few instances why:

- A phone call with an inactive member of our church: Hello! We'd like to invite you to church tomorrow!- I can't- well can we meet you sometime this week so we still see you?- Sure I'm usually free in the evenings- Okay, which day?- Girls, don't worry about me! I'm fine, everything is in order. Have a good day!---- So yeah, we'll just stop by in the evening I guess.

- An impromptu visit with an inactive member of our church: Lets us in the complex after we essentially ring the apartment doorbell. Then we knock on their door- we hear them eating dinner- they don't answer. Moral of the story, don't let people in if you won't let them in. actually we got to leave them a note so that was good.

- Ukrainians don't try to understand bad Russian. I feel like we Americans are very understanding and we try to make sense of broken English or a mispronounced word. Not here though. Even if you have slightly incorrect intonation in your question, they will not understand the simplest of phrases such as “How are you?”. I've related it to someone coming up to me and saying I am a girl, or I am a girl? I just have to be patient and say something I learned in my first few days in the MTC seven times until I get it "right".

Okay so the title. I was not actually alone with a guy- my trainee was. It is the crown jewel of our transfer. Thanks to our third companion, I am blessed to have a video explaining the conversation. But, maybe you won't watch it- your loss- so I'll briefly describe. Sister Moore ran for the open elevator and hit our button per habit, but the doors automatically shut (being open a long time), separating us from our companion- which has happened before, but this time was different. Having hit the button already, the elevator kidnapped my trainee and took her home, screaming all the way up, growing more and more faint. She is obedient, however, so she tried to come back down to us to return within sight and sound, until someone else decided to use the elevator and called it to the eighth floor. This is where the title comes in- Sister Moore was alone with a man in the elevator for eight floors. Maybe not so funny for those of you at home, but to us missionaries this is the funniest thing in the world- a close second to when I dropped the keys out the window.

There are a few things that I am just so grateful for and I want to share. I am grateful for RAIN! Old news, but this week has actually had some really nice weather- we even pulled out the rain boots! Even when we had to walk in pouring rain and we were soaking wet, walking ankle-deep in puddles, we were laughing as hard as ever. I am also so very thankful for the opportunity I had to serve with Sister Smith-Driggs. Our trio has gone down to two today which makes us sad but we are also so happy that she is no longer a fugitive from the law- okay not really a fugitive, but go with it. I have learned so much from her and I wish her the best of luck in Estonia!

Everybody- missions are AMAZING! I'm out of time, but just think about that. I love you all!

Sister Vehar​
Wearing our Vyshyvanka at the temple with Sister Smith-Driggs

No comments:

Post a Comment