Monday, April 30, 2018

Week 13: One month in Ukraine!!

Hello Everyone!!

I am loving it here in Ukraine! This week was so packed I can barely remember everything that happened. We had training again this week which was nice because everyone came to us haha-temple sister perks! I seriously love it though! I see the temple and there is more and more green everyday. It is so hot here though! That kinda scares me since it was winter a month ago and it'll keep warming up until summer, so pray it's not too hot here. It's so hot, people are starting to walk around without tights here, which is saying something.

This week I had a huge run in one of my tights and our potential investigator chewed me out for not wearing tights (minutes after I threw them away) and told me I needed to go to the store immediately and buy more because it's still the beginning of the year. I think that is just an awful mindset because until July, it could still technically be the beginning of the year. But, I have some fellow supporters who are ditching the tights and you can bet I'm joining them because I can't handle an extra layer in this heat.

We met with another new potential investigator this week named Lubov (love) and she showed up so late that I thought she stood us up. After an hour of waiting, I suggested we go to ATB (the grocery store) and get some dinner because we wouldn't have time and she probably wasn't coming. So we started to pray to "let God in on our plan". Sister Sutton called it and as we were praying, Lubov showed up... with dinner. That was a spiritual slap in the face and I'm just glad Sister Sutton didn't give up as easily as I did, because if we hadn't prayed and just left, we would have missed her. I definitely learned my lesson and won't be giving up easy in the future.

We had a Nigerian baby naming ceremony here thanks to the International branch and that was really cool. It was quite an unusual social scene with all the white Mormon missionaries at President Kumferman's house and a whole lot of Nigerians, who actually were not members of our church for the most part. Maybe we did some missionary work there. I hope so, but wouldn't know since they avoided us like crazy. Not sure if it was the name tag or so many predominately white Americans. It was lots of fun and I had the spiciest food I will probably have my whole mission and I played some volleyball for the first time in a month. That felt really good!

This week all three of our Investigators with baptismal dates showed up to church! It was really confusing for Sasha, our golden investigator, because she has come to church for General and Stake Conference before, but not regular church. We also extended her a specific date for her baptism, but she freaked out when we gave her a month from now to be baptized. She thinks she'll be more comfortable in June, so we'll see.

A man this week argued with me about the origins of my name and tried to tell me that I am Russian. He said my family played a big part in the USSR, which isn't necessarily a compliment here... I think he’s confused since my family was obviously in America at that point, but maybe I have some mysterious long lost relatives I need to look for now. So, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone thinks I'm Russian and a delinquent by next week so just pray they still cooperate with a Soviet descendant.

It's been a good week and I hope everyone's has been just as good!
Sister Vehar





No comments:

Post a Comment