Monday, April 23, 2018

Week 12: Week three (in Ukraine)


Happy Monday everyone!

This week wasn't too eventful, but I did make the greenie mistake of not getting off at the right marshrutka stop and kept going on my route and leaving Sister Sutton behind at our stop! Не бойтес (do not fear), I got off at the next stop and Sister Sutton rode another marshrutka to my stop and we walked back to the Ashan together (the most walmart like store here).

When I got here, everyone in the mission was talking about buckets. Apparently, last zone conference, President Kumferman gave everyone different finding buckets to choose from. "Buckets" are different ways we acquire investigators. This week we tried out some new buckets, like throwing some of our plethora of pasha cakes to the birds, hoping people would want to join us... yeah that wasn't so successful. Turns out you can't make birds flock towards people unsuspiciously with only a single cake. We also focused on former investigators this week so while Sister Sutton made phone calls to our Russian investigators, members, and such, I read through the area book, searching for some potential. Some people are former investigators for a reason and Ukraine is apparently full of a whole lot of crazy I have not had the chance to see. That'll change no doubt.

We saw many carcasses this week, as we have started walking more in our days, including a cat with pink fingernails and a rat being eaten by a crow. Forgive me for not taking pictures. We visit a blind, nearly deaf babushka with a beard every week named Baba Anna and take her blood pressure and share spiritual messages with her. She is just the cutest and loves when we bring her stuff like some fresh bread and juice like she asked for. She definitely has a strong testimony even though I can't understand when she goes off for minutes like every babushka here.

We had my first zone conference and stake conference this week and I just came out of this weekend being so spiritually fed. Wow, I love this mission! President Kumferman and his wife are honestly the best and sweetest ever. Also our investigator, Sasha, came to stake conference, despite it being an hour away because she just really wanted to. I'm telling you, she's GOLDEN. Our lesson with her this week was really interesting though because we had her friend, Igor, come to the lesson and somehow he hijacked it and taught the whole Plan of Salvation. I couldn't tell you how it happened except all I know is that he asked if he could answer her question about why Nephi killed Laban (from the Book of Nephi in the Book of Mormon) and next thing I know he's drawing the Plan of Salvation on the board and all the points I had prepared to talk about were gone. Apparently he taught it really well though, so as long as Sasha learned and felt the spirit, I'd call that a win.

Yesterday we met a very interesting member in our ward. He is Canadian, but refuses to go to the international branch where he can understand it in English, because he wants to find a wife. I couldn't figure out why he's living in Ukraine because he was vague about his job, but all he told me was that he could do his job from anywhere in the world??? I have no idea why he wants a wife he can't talk to but okay. Anyway, I bring him up because this lady in the stake wanted to show him "a good place to take a photo" and literally drug us out of the hall we were meeting in to be their translators. I ended up talking to him the whole time and Sister Sutton was stuck with the lady due to language barriers. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a date or if she was lonely and wanted some people to tour Pechersky with, either way it was the most awkward and confusing experience of my life as this photo spot turned into a tourist adventure and going into Pravelslavny churches and what not for two hours. We tried to leave but I swear to you I have never met a more stubborn people than the Ukrainians. Good news though, we escaped.

Anyway that was my week and I seriously love this mission and I am so sad that it is already flying by. Definitely not letting a moment pass me by. I'm having the most amazing time of my life here in the wonderful Ukraine and I hope you all are having a great time back at home.

Lots of love,
Сестра Вихар

 Our bird feeding flop of a bucket
 "The good photo place" the crazy lady drug us to
Selfie before stake conference because why not
Zone conference lunch.
 (L-R:) Sisters Newman Sutton, King, Qosja, Vehar and Pixton
Elders of the Kyiv West Zone. (L to R:) Elders Hatch, Read, Robinson, Pate, Clifford, Ulrich, Decker, Nye and Neptune. (Standing:) Elder Clawson.
(R to L:) President and Sister Kumferman, Elders Santiago, Ahlstrom and Uchytill.

No comments:

Post a Comment